Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Fight the good fight of faith...

In my devos I am kinda reading about Joshua and all the battles of the Israelites as they come into the Promised Land. No wonder the Lord told Joshua in the very first chapter not to be afraid nor dismayed because there were a lot of armys and cities to fight. It always amazes me how many times the Israelites in history have been way outnumbered by their enemies but they (almost) always gained victory. It is so easy to just read through it and think, "it was so easy for them" or to think "they werent afraid, this isnt as real as the things that are happening in my life" but the truth is there battles were crazy, they really were facing, living breathing men that wanted to kill them. They really had to be brave and courageous, and place all of their confidence in the Lord because their lives were at stake. I wonder if we take our battles as serious? Paul tells the Ephesians, "we do not wrestle against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers..." Our battle is just as real and maybe the stakes are even higher for us than they were for Joshua and the Israelites. How much more should be place our confidence in the Lord, to not be afraid and walk as soldiers. Be encouraged, the command to not be afraid is always accompanied with the promise of the Lord's presence. We are assured victory because He fights our battles and not us.


One other thing I want to point out about Joshua that I absolutely love (!!!) is before he was even made a commander or a leader he was continually in the Lord's presence. During Moses time when they set up the tent of meeting, Exodus 33:11 says that Joshua never departed from the tent. I love that about Him and I desire that same heart, no wonder God called him to be a leader of His people! True faith and courage comes from knowing whom you serve and that HE is able and will do what He has said.
Picture is my tough fighting face, haha...I really do have too much free time...but I am going to Cologne tomorrow..THAnk you JESUS!!!




No comments: